Dueler's Archives Forum IndexHome  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Diamond Quest 15!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dueler's Archives Forum Index -> Duel of Fists Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoF Archive
Archivist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Diamond Quest 15! Reply with quote

Date: 10/19/1998 5:52 PM Central Daylight Time

This past Saturday, October 17th, I had the honor of watching over the 15th Diamond Quest. Fortunately for my sanity, eight showed, making things much easier. The seeds, determined by each Emerald Ranking, went as follows.

1- Andrew Forcer (ERS, 2nd)
2- Kelli Elan (3rd)
3- Roland sal Roa (5th)
4- Falablah Dalegate (6th)
5- Huma Evilbane (7th)
6- Layne Jenkins (10th)
7- Tarl Cabot (12th)
8- Dexter Montoya (20th)

In truth, seeds mattered only to determine the matchups; the skill level is well-balanced, and with eight contestants, there would be no byes.

Round 1-
In what could be determined a mild upset, Dexter Montoya returned from a nearly three month absence to eke out a win over Andrew Forcer, 5-4. Only Kelli Elan won of the higher-seeded duelists; she defeated Tarl Cabot, 5-1 in a quick five rounds. Other results- Layne beat Roland, 6-5; and Bane defeated Falablah, 5-3.

Round 2-
The first elimination round! Andrew was able to remove Tarl from contention with a 5-2 win, while Falablah was taken out by Roland by an identical score. This left the Quest without any duelers with previous experience at holding a Duel of Fists title, save Andrew's one-day reign as Diamond. Staying unbeaten were Dex, with a 5-2 win over Kelli, and Bane, who defeated Layne 5-3 in 18 defense-oriented rounds.

Round 3-
It was here that last cycle's retired Diamond was ungloriously removed with a 1-2 record, falling 5-4 to the tourney's largest competitor, Layne Jenkins. Joining him on the way out was the only female fighter, Kelli Elan, a 5-3 loser to Roland. Dexter remained the only undefeated duelist with a quick and easy 5-1 thrashing of Bane.

Round 4-
While Bane and Roland duked it out simply to stay alive, things became a little trickier in the opposite match. Layne needed to win; Dexter did not. However, knowing the advantage a flawless record would secure, the intensity level was raised to a height the exhausted Jenkins could not match. Five points to one, he moved on to face Huma Evilbane, a relatively easy 5-2 victory coming against Roland sal Roa.

Championship-
Ten points stood between Bane and the Diamond. Alas, the match was over as quickly as their previous meeting, in round three. Bane found his back against the wall from the start, and Dexter would not stop pounding him further and further into it. A final boot to the face in the 7th round finished the bout with a 5-1 win, making Dexter Montoya the 13th holder of the Diamond's ring! After the bout, the honorable champion reiterated a promise he
made to our own Matt Simon, stating his intention to do the title proud. We hope he can keep to his word.

Congrats to the winner!

Deuce
Duel of Fists Asst. Supervisor
DoF Archive
Archivist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond Quest 15! Reply with quote

Date: 10/20/1998 3:50 PM Central Daylight Time

Being kinda the new guy, I sometimes don't know everything, as much as I'd like to think I do. A couple of corrections- Andrew held the Diamond for about an hour, not a full day; and Dex also had experience as an Opal, which was as long as the challenge match between him and Tarl Cabot after Dex had won a Yellow Opal Quest.

Deuce
Non-knowitall DoF Asst. Supervisor
DoF Archive
Archivist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond Quest 15! Reply with quote

Date: 10/21/1998 5:13 AM Central Daylight Time

Dexter my good friend...

I wish I would have known you'd be in this... I would've come to cheer you on. Though apparently you didn't need it.
Wear it well.

Lady Drake, aka the Gryphon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dueler's Archives Forum Index -> Duel of Fists Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: